373 Main Street, Catskill, NY 12414
Built in 1880 as a roller rink the Nelida derived its name as an amalgam of the names of the wives of the owners, Nell Lampman and Ida Kortz. By the end of the decade it had been converted to a theater which housed plays, concerts, community events and movies.
The wooden building was quickly consumed also spreading to those on either side and to the rear. Seven buildings were destroyed, an estimated loss of $150,000. The $14,000 value of the Nelida Theatre was only partially covered by insurance.
The Community Theater is now on this site,